- Friday May 22, 2015
- 7:00 am - 9:00 am
- Palliser Hotel
In This Together: Carbon Pricing and Alberta’s Family Business
A panel discussion about the future of Alberta’s climate policy and what it means for industry and consumers.
Never before has so much public attention focused on the evolution of Alberta’s climate policy. In the lead up to the major global climate negotiations in Paris, provinces across Canada are aspiring to bold action—Alberta included. As Alberta’s government prepares to release its updated climate strategy, it has committed in no uncertain terms to achieve its 2020 targets. Yet Alberta’s context, as a major Canadian oil and gas producer, is unique. Its policy decisions must consider a broader range of issues including its role meeting global energy demands and the economic importance of its oil and gas industry.
Negotiating these complex issues and moving forward with solutions that achieve both economic and environmental imperatives will require the broad support of Albertans.
The purpose of this event is to advance meaningful discussion of these issues with leaders of industry, government, and civil society.
- 7:00 am: Coffee and breakfast served
- 7:30 am: Welcome and Keynote by Steve Williams, President & CEO, Suncor
- 7:40 am: Intro by Chris Ragan, Chair of Canada’s Ecofiscal Commission
- 7:50 am: Panel
- Amin Asadollahi, Oilsands Program Director, Pembina Institute
- Jim Dinning, Chair of Western Financial Group and former Treasurer of Alberta
- Judy Fairburn, Executive Advisor, Executive Office, Cenovus Energy & Board Chair – Alberta Innovates Tech Futures
- Justin Smith, Director of Policy, Research and Government Relations, Calgary Chamber of Commerce
- 8:20 am: Audience Q&A
- 8:55 am: Conclusion
This is event is presented by Canada’s Ecofiscal Commission and Suncor Energy. It is sponsored by Max Bell Foundation.